World Bridge Research, LLC
Introduction to Needs Assessment
Needs and Resources Assessment is a way of gauging opinions, assumptions, needs, key issues, and/or assets
within a defined community. It serves as a foundation for planning and action.
Why do we conduct community needs and resources assessments?
* Identify community needs, concerns and issues
* Select a population for engagement and outreach
* Empower grass-roots action around needs
* Understand and plan to leverage available resources and assets
* Determine if needs have changed?
* Collect communities’ hopes/dreams/desires
* Create a plan that is grounded in research AND community knowledge
A combination of qualitative and quantitative methods is often used in needs and resource assessments. Common
qualitative methods are focus groups, key informant interviews and public issue forums. Quantitative methods often
include secondary analysis of numerical data (like the U.S. Census).